No:14 Upton Park

Known as Laverstock since being built in 1905

Early history of the land

The 1921 Park accounts show the name L Nicholson and transfer to Shearer. The tenants in 1921 were Alfred and Effie Jones. B F Shearer is named until 1927 and then Austin Jones acquired the property in 1928 remaining until 1952. He also let the property with Florence Kellett recorded in 1929 and William and Mildred Jones in 1939.
During WW2 and the immediate post-war period the property was rented to Major (later Lt Col.) Frederick Matthews and family. Major Matthews was a Quartermaster and based at The Firs prior to posting to Liverpool with searchlight responsibilities. Subsequently he was posted to Germany at the end of the war. Son Peter lived here between the ages of 2 and 11.

By 1952 Laverstock was owned by Mr Lloyd who lived in Rhodesia and had Bulawayo (no:20) built in the grounds gaining access via the garage drive. In 1957 Chester City footballer Norman Bullock wished to buy Laverstock but as a professional footballer was unable to get a mortgage through the normal channels. He resorted to writing to Mr Lloyd in Rhodesia who turned out to be a Chester football supporter following them weekly via the Chronicle. Feeling that he already knew Norman through his exploits; a private mortgage was arranged and Norman and Dorothy moved into Laverstock in 1957.

In 1971 Norman Bullock acquired plot 12, built no:36 and moved there in 1974. They sold Laverstock to the Lewis family who stayed until c1980.

Currently the home of Dr Robin and Karen Davies with family Sarah and Ben.



  • Home

  • About

  • News

  • History

  • Houses

  • Committee

  • Guestbook

  • Contact