No:16 Upton Park

Known as Fairfield

on the right with Ranmere (no:18) on the left

Early history of the land

With no records for the first 15 years the house was rental property until 1954. Throughout most of this period it was the home of William and Mary Singleton and in the early 1920s Arthur and William - presumably their grown-up sons.

The earliest Park accounts of 1921 record Fairfield as owned by Mr H Woodward. By 1927 ownership was with Miss Edith Clarke of Balham having swapped with no:18. From 1936 the accounts show Miss H G Clark of Eastham. Briefly after WW2 accounts show Mrs Schofield of Guernsey but then Miss H G Clark is named for both no:16&18 until 1954.

In 1954 Fairfield was acquired by Thomas Gerald Micheal Scally. Thomas and Suzanne Scally and their family of nine children lived in Fairfield for 15 years and were well known within the Park. Like many other Park residents; Tom was a collector of old cars and the front garden was a parking lot. The back garden became a yard in the true sense with not a blade of grass growing due to so many young children; a Persian cat (that got run over outside the house) and an English bulldog which scared most visitors when not tethered on a large chain on a steel wire that spanned the back yard. In 1969 Tom retired and moved with his family to the Isle of Man. Fairfield remained empty for almost two years as it became in need of refurbishment before being sold.

The current owners themselves with a large family have extended the property and it now has 6 bedrooms.

a male nurse at the Deva hospital.

Mr Scally; who started his early working years in Australia; stood as a Labour candidate for Upton in the days of the Wilson government. Son Clive recalls his father's motto as ' a sick world needs nursing not cursing' and how he always dreamt of taking a boat around the world. Apparently; he made local headline news with his plans for putting an ex-RAF rescue launch on the Dee in Chester. Within the Park he is remembered for the many large cars he kept, often several at a time, parked outside and in the front garden. They included three Jaguars, a Riley and a hooded Packard. The Scally family had 6 sons and 3 daughters at a time when there were very few young children in the Park. Well known to everyone in the Park they stayed until the late 1960s moving to the Isle of Man.



  • Home

  • About

  • News

  • History

  • Houses

  • Committee

  • Guestbook

  • Contact