No:17 Upton Park & stable block
Known as Holly Bank
photograhed in 1987
The 1872 OS survey shows the two story coachhouse/stable block which though getting derelict was still in place in 1950. On the right the great entrance doors for the carriage: to the side of this, a double stable with a partition for two horses, and at the extreme left, the tack room with a fireplace. Upstairs, which was approached by a draw ladder was a hayloft where bales of hay still lay in 1950 but by this time the floor of the upper storey was wholly unstable and had to be demolitioned. None of the 19th century census records show a coachman living there. The site of the coachhouse/stable block is now a double garage but the original flooring clearly shows its usage with a cambered floor and drainage in the stable area. The tack room is still evident with its fireplace.
OS survey maps right through to the 1932 revision suggest that the coachhouse and its access drive were seperate from Holly Bank's grounds.
The washhouse block - which has been retained as a utility room - would appear to have been built at the time of the house. There was a well with a hand pump to take water up to a tank in the loft. The level guage still exists on the outside wall. Its life must have been fairly short since mains water came to the park in 1890.
There is a boundary shown in the OS surveys up to 1932; crossing the current lawn. This tallies with suspicion of wall foundation noted by the current owners.
daughters Mary (34yrs); Florence (27yrs)
son James (19yrs) - theology student
The three Griffiths brothers are remembered very much in their roles - one the businessman in his winged collar; one the shopkeeper and one the housekeeper.
(From 1925 Spring Villa (29) was owned by a John W Griffiths and family. Spring Villa backs onto Holly Bank and there are suggestions that a route through the boundary may once have existed. )
As a lawyer, he was frequently called upon to advise UPPA on legal matters pertaining to the Park. Kenneth was also known as an accomplished musician and was an organist at City road.
Kenneth took up residence with wife Lena and their young family -
Howard, Rhoderick and John. Elizabeth was born while they lived in
During the Davies era much of the derelict outbuildings had to be made safe for raising a young family. They demolished the great greenhouse that had obviously enabled the previous occupants to supplement their rations during and after the war (half the rear garden was given over to vegetables and fruit trees); it lay almost the full length of the far wall backing onto Mrs Griffiths’ garden (no:29), and was very dangerous. The old coach house - so tempting to adventurous children - was similarly part demolished. In the walled area in front of the coach house was a chicken coop. In the surviving greenhouse adjoining the washhouse was an old vine, which was lovingly tended for its occasional grapes. As regards the house; the large family kitchen with its range was still in place as was the separate walk-in larder. Today the modern kitchen is in the old skullery and the backdoor rather than entering the large family kitchen now enters a passageway with two side rooms.
The Davies family left in July 1964.