No:40 Upton Park

Known as Grafton Villa from its origin as one of the earliest Park properties.

For early history of the plot & its development

The 1872 OS survey shows the ground plan much as it is today although it is believed that builder Mr Little the owner in the 1980s significantly refurbished the back outhouse area incorporating it into the house.

The first recorded resident; from the 1881 census records; was Joseph Denson - at that time a 67yr old widower retired Chemist/Druggist with two servants. It is believed that he was already resident in 1874.

New names are recorded in the 1891census but

The 1911 electoral roll shows the occupier as Mrs Mary Crane with (presumably) her two sons George and Percy as paying lodgers.

The earliest Park accounts for 1921 show Grafton Villa owned by John Crosby; with 2835 sq yds including the paddock on plot 12. In a 1928 document he is described as a retired Police Sergeant.

After the death of John Crosby in 1939, the property stayed with the Crosby family through into the 1970s. Miss Eugene Nettie Betsy Barbara Crosby became the named proprietor; by which time they also owned The Nook nextdoor (no:42). Prior to her death she was believed to have clocked up the most years in the Park for all the current residents.


the house just prior to its late-1970s renovation; as viewed from the garden of number no:36

The property was then acquired; without the plot of no:36; by builder Mr Little who lived there but also carried out major renovation.

Currently the home of Dan and Mary Carbery since 1991 when they bought from Dr. Irvine (or Imrie ?).



  • Home

  • About

  • News

  • History

  • Houses

  • Committee

  • Guestbook

  • Contact