No. 64 Upton Park
Known as Elm House formerly Wyeby
The property was built in the grounds of Firdene (no:66) on what was essentially plot 21. The exact build date is not known but it first appears on the 1932 OS revision.
It is not until 1935 that the housename Wyeby first appears in the Park accounts ledger with the rate paid by Mr A W Snead Furley. Arthur and Daisy Furley are remembered as living there but whether they had it built in their grounds for their immediate use is not yet known. The 1939 Electoral Roll names them as actually living in Wyeby and it is known that Arthur moved to Scotland after WW2. Jean Cox of The Westing (no:2) recalls them having an aviary in the garden.
In 1945 the house was briefly owned by L Marcuss and by 1946/7 by J G Carver
who changed the name to Elm House. The 1945 electoral roll gives the residents
as Isla and Mark Wardle. Mark is believed to have been Army and his
family with daughters One and Susan are remembered living there for the
first few years immediately post WW2. Susan rode horses with the Sabine girls.
In the late 1950's Park rate responsibility passed to the steel makers John Summers Ltd. Dr. Jeffs and family then aquired the property at some point after 1963 retaining it until 1975. Currently home to Arthur and Councillor Jean Garrod since 1975. Jean served as UPPA chairman for several years during the 1980s.
The Garrods had been told that the house had been built by a retired 'Foundry master' as his home with his wife reputed to have done the bricklaying and coal mining waste used in the construction. Documentation and other memories however support the story that Furley had a modern house built in his grounds for his own use.
A sketch by Arthur Garrod dated 28-2-1988