No:68 Upton Park
Known as Oaklea
Earliest history of plots 19,20,21
The earliest Park accounts ledger of 8 April 1921 records Oaklea
at 5844 sq yds incorporating plot 19.
This property was the highest Park rate payer (£4/17/4d
-more than twice any other single named plot/property- in the
days when the rate was based on plot area. The ground area reduced to 3906
sq yds after plot 19 was sold.
Under Furley's ownership; Oaklea appears to have had tenants -
- 1921 - George & Elsie Matthias
- 1929 - Esther & Thomas Mathias
- 1939 - George & Francis Coleman
- 1945 - The Cook and Sinclair families
After WW2 AWS Furley moved to Scotland and the Park
Accounts ledger records son R Furley until 1954.
1954 accounts record Mr Beeley although Mrs Broadhead is believed
to have lived in Oaklea during the mid-1950s.
Ron and Joyce Ross then bought the property in 1957 moving from
Upton Drive. Ron soon installed the letterbox by the gate
and as recalled by his wife, he was rewarded by the very first letter
being a £300 winnings on the football pools. They stayed for 12 years
selling in 1968 to David and Sheila Docherty and family who moved
to the area from Scotland.
who contributed to the Park tradition for vintage cars soon joined the
UPPA committee. They stayed until the late-1990s.