No: 70 Upton Park

Known as The Cedars

Earliest history of plots 19,20,21


This is a 1930's dorma bungalow built on plot 19. Arthur Walter Snead Furley sold the 2000sq yd plot 19 on 23 July 1933 to builder William Foden of Mt Pleasant Saltney for 170.

Although William Shone had had a interest in the Oaklea/Firdene estate up to 1919 the conveyance of the land to build the Cedars refers only to the initial covenant of 1857 making no reference to the 1870 Release and new covenant of which he held the original.

It would appear that Foden built the house possibly extending the back to cover in the back porch at a later date. Ground floor rooms except for the modernised kitchen still have their exposed beam ceilings.

The property is first mentioned in the ledger in 1934/5 owned by Mr W Foden with a council rateable value of 32. It is shown on the post-1936 Ordnance survey.

In 1936 other records show Miss Elsie Lotitia Roberts residing at the Cedars and acquiring plot 18.

The 1939 electoral roll names William Foden as resident with his wife Florine May and another William Aubrey Foden. By 1945 the house is recorded as vacant.

On 19 July 1944 Ronald Foden - following the death of William - conveyed the property to Shell Refining & Marketing Co Ltd. The Park Accounts ledger names Shell Research and occasionally under the name of L Eisinger. Shell are still shown as owners into the early 1960's.

Various Shell staff were tenants. Bill Nash and then Barbara and John Kane on two occassions between 1957 and 1961. Barbara recalls the occasion that the horse from the field next door was attracted into the garden by the compost and then got stuck in their greenhouse. Iain and Peggy Pender bought the house in 1962 when Shell pulled out of owning property. Iain worked for Shell and from 1968 the family were only there during annual leave from overseas. During this period various friends from Shell used the property while looking for homes of their own in the area. They kept the house until 1984 and the Pender children Judith and Jonathan have fond memories of her childhood formative years in the Park.
the rear of the house in 1968

Reg & Joan Thomas with their two sons then acquired the property and carried out some refurbishment including adding a 3rd dorma room.

Currently the home since 1994 of Will and Pam Webb and family - Jack and Harriett.



  • Home

  • About

  • News

  • History

  • Houses

  • Committee

  • Guestbook

  • Contact