no: 72 Upton Park

Originally called 'The New house' the name has not been used since 1984.

For early history of plots 16,17,18

In November 1957 GP Dr John Cameron Doran acquired planning permission to build a detached house and garage on plot 18. The plans record approval of both UPPA and the current owners of the former Shone estate (nos:66/68). In March 1958 he bought the land and began to build using architects R S Biggins & Associates of Chester. The house is believed to have been featured in a house style magazine of the time.

By 1960 Dr Doran and family had moved overseas and the house acquired by Edward Harold Mason a County Librarian. In 1963 it was recorded in Park accounts as having the highest Council Rateable Value of 210 just beating Bulawayo's 202.

In 1984 the Mason family sold the house to the current owners, Martin and Alison Pantony who moved in with daughter Helen, in April 1984. Martin and Alison have both served on the UPPA committee and Martin was Chairman in the 1989/90 year. Alison is a distant relative of the Dickson family who previously owned plots in Upton Park and the surrounding nursery.



  • Home

  • About

  • Social

  • History

  • Houses

  • UPPA

  • Gallery

  • Misc