From a telephone chat with Len Morgan (7Feb01)
Len was a local telephone engineer and visited many homes in the area.
Hoole born and bred he sees himself as a genuine Hooligan!
He remembers the Avenue entrance gate as wooden during his early days.
He recalls an Upton Park house that was an ARP centre during WW2. After the war
the cellar still had many items - buckets; stirup pumps etc.
He believes the house was around nos: 76 / 74.
Regarding wells in the area he noted that the house in Well Lane
that has 'the' well is called the Greek name for a well "?????".
The Upton area has many streams although in today's development
a lot is now piped and out of sight. He recalls a spring in the region
of the fork in Neston Drive.
The Upton area had alot of military activity during and around WW2.
General Horrocks was GOC Western Command 1947/49 (Horrocks Road in his
memory). The last GOC was born in Rose Villa.
The site of Dorin Park was a large establishment. Various ACAC
bases around (one in Acres Lane). Two American bases in the area; one
near the Hammonds school; the other near the Rugby club.
Ben Edwards owned the land now the grounds of Millview school. The
hollow provided the site of the annual bonfire after WW2.