Military connections and wartime experiences
Currently no Upton Park residents are military; or ex-miliary who still use their ranks as titles. However The Minute book records many military titles particularly stretching between the two post-war periods.
This is largely influenced by the fact that the Chester area has
been termed a garrison town until recent times. Around WW2 it was the
HQ of Western Command and had many army and RAF bases.
Upton Park's former neighbour Government House (formerly Dorrin Court) -
demolished in 1973 - was
purchased by Western Command in 1920 and used for a succession of G O C's.
Stories suggest that Government House accommodated Haile Selassie
during WW2 and
was visited by Field Marshall Montgomery.
Served with the Cheshire Regiment and subsequently the author of the regiment's history 'Ever Glorious' and other histories incl. the Malta Railway.
also Jean Garrod a Junior Commander in the ATS
Captain Wilson trained at 170 (MG) OCTU, was commissioned in the Cheshire Regiment during WW2 and posted to 24 MGTU at the Dale.
And finally 'lest we forget' those who lost their lives in the two world wars.
Named on the Upton War Memorial and believed to possibly be Park residents
other names on the Upton memorial that may have had Upton Park connections..
Meanwhile on the homefront -
There is no record of the Park suffering any bomb damage although the following incident occured at the Mill.
On 1 July 1941 a 2-seater Miles Master N7833 crashed into the outbuildings of The Mill killing the trainer and student. Both were French Canadians - Pilot Officer J M Milmine and Sargeant H A Womack both from 57 OTU at Harwarden
There are no Proprietors Association records between February 1915 and October 1918. When they restart the issue of widening the mill entrance; as raised in 1915; is taken up again and seems to be quickly actioned. Also the road workman's wages were increased to 5/-d presumably reflecting the shortage of post-war labour.
There are no Proprietor Association records between the committee meeting of December 1940 and the AGM of July 1945. At the committee meeting Mr Furley brought to the notice of Proprietors that stirrup pumps could be bought from the Rural District Council at £1 each. The 1945 electoral roll records many Park residents as serving away on military service.
Post WW2 communal air raid shelters remained on the mill orchard plot opposite nos: 8 & 10.
The Cheshire Records Office holds the Committee Minute Book of the Upton & District unit of the Cheshire Volunteer Regiment (Chester & Eddisbury Battalion).
inaugurated 29/4/1915 with the following Upton Park (believed to be) members - RJohnson; ACWBuck; LJGowings (sec). Other names with possibly Park connections - Trelfa; SOldham
Also the committee minutes of the Upton War (WW1) Memorial -
- Chair- Sir John Frost. Committee members (believed to be Upton Park residents) -