Property development now fully underway

NB - Old OS maps reproduced within the following text or links provided

SUMMARY

The story from the early 1870s to 1900 is best told through the census records and the next OS survey of 1898. Well before the end of the Victorian era, the covenanted area, as we know it today, was established, mainly with double villas. The grander style of Villa coming after the first few properties.
The only villa with black & white top-half timber clad seeming to be the last but still built and lived in before the 1891 census
The few vacant plots on the outer circle were generally used as orchards/gardens for Park residents.
Before WW2 a few single dwellings were built within the covenanted area and along the lane; opposite the millyard & orchard; house building was completed ,again totally with single dwellings.
After WW2; the explosion in housing development led to the demolition of Upton House (formerly the base of Dickson's nursery) and plots 2 through 7 which never really became part of the Park, left the covenanted area and were absorbed into a new and seperate modern estate.
Meanwhile the 50 post-war years saw completion of the Park with 12 single dwellings within the covenanted area and a further 13 dwellings in the northwest of the now expanded Upton Park. Of the 12 in the covenanted only 3 exercised the relaxed covenant allowing 2 single properties (nos:27 & 30 & 60) within an original plot.

Throughout, no dwelling has been demolished.

Following the development in more detail with the aid of maps

The 1st edition Ordnance Survey map published in 1880 shows the result of survey work on Upton Park in 1872.

Already several houses existed - some named -
5 doubles on the inner circle
2 doubles on the outer circle
2 singles on the lane towards the mill.
Interesting to note that several vacant plots are shown with orchards/gardens possibly in use by the occupied plots.

see the 1st edition OS map for full Upton area
WARNING ....large file will take a while to download

The 2nd edition Ordnance Survey map published in 1899 shows the result of survey work on Upton Park in 1898.

The circle was now complete as regards intentions at the time.
Census records suggests this may have been fairly soon after the 1872 survey with the exception of plot 24 which stayed as Thomas Woods garden grounds until nos:15 & 17 were built in the 1880's. By this 1898 survey, several outer circle properties had also been built.

It must be remembered that these maps only show the existance of dwellings without indication of their occupacity. The available census records cover 1891 but 1901 is as yet unavailable.

As properties were developed several were in the hands of other residents presumably seeing them as investments and taking on tenants.

To view the OS maps 1912 - post1936 edition
but warning large file

By the 3rd edition OS survey (map published 1912) - no further dwellings are shown within the covenanted area but two doubles have been built c.1904/5 opposite the Mill orchard along the lane to the mill (nos:12,14,16,18)

By the 1932 OS survey; 2 single dwellings were added to the outer circle and 5 singles completing the length of lane opposite the millyard & orchard. Park accounts record these latter five as built in the mid-1920's.

Only one further single dwelling was added to the outer circle in 1935 and was featured on the next edition (post 1936 edition) OS map.

Immediately after WW2 a further single (no:44) was added to the outer circle restricted in size at the time due to post-war regulations. In the 1980's it was enlarged to its current state.

While no dwelling demolition has occured, early OS maps show a glasshouse on the site of the New House (no:72). Some UPPA maps refered to this as 'the ruin'.

Over the last 50 years, there has been a number of new dwellings infilling in accord with the covenant restrictions. built in a variety of styles of the day but none replicating the original period design. Hence all the period properties are original although some of these have been modified/extended.

An interesting reflection on shifting fashion trends is that for the post WW2 few decades, the older buildings were seen as less desirable and some owners of older properties were buying the orchard/garden plots and building new dwellings offering the comforts of advancing technology. Rateable values based on potential rental income were much lower for the older properties which all added to the environment in which buyers of some older properties would have prefered the newer ones but could not afford them. Towards the end of the 20th century trends had swung with period houses becoming more desirable again and often bought by those wishing to reinstate the period look.

During the war effort (WW2) iron railings and gates were removed in great numbers and it is unlikely that Upton Park escaped. Evidence suggests that many of the 19th century dwellings had iron gates but only some of these remain. Some have clearly been added in recent years restoring the period look.

While trees remain a major feature of the Park, residents grounds are generally landscaped now to today's style of lawn and flower beds. Although some keener vegetable gardeners are still around there is now little in the way of orchard when compared to decades ago and the 'dig for victory' during WW2,

Property extensions and upgrades are on-going; often occuring at change of ownership. As regards new dwellings the Park is now probably full. Although the covenant could not restrict a few plots from adding new dwellings; the covenanted area is now within a conservation area which adds a new perspective to any planning application.

varying architecture through the years of development



  • Home

  • About

  • News

  • History

  • Houses

  • Committee

  • Guestbook

  • Contact